As a mom and an educator I am constantly looking at my son to determine where his strengths are and where his interest lie. Children learn better when they are engaged. Engagement happens when they are interested in what they are doing. One way to assess your child or children you work with is to use Howard Gardner's Multiple Intelligences. Each intelligence is how a person interprets or learns in the world. There are nine, I usually use eight: body- kinesthetic, musical, interpersonal, intrapersonal, linguistic, logical-mathematical, naturalist, and spatial. Two others that Gardner is working on is Technological and Spiritual.
http://naungancinta.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/multiple-intelligences.jpg
http://www.newhorizons.org/strategies/mi/front_mi.htm
My son is definitely musical. Everyone has more than one intelligence that helps them process information. But usually, there is one dominant. I have just sat here for the last 30 minutes listening to him make up songs about anything and everything. Even the tunes are a creation of his. I have to just smile as I listen to him. Love it! Here is a sample of him reciting a poem, which is linguistic intelligence. So again he has more than one interest.
Too CUTE
ReplyDelete