In part one, we discussed the importance of using straws and talking to your child. The next step is to give everything a name. You child does not know that a table is a table unless you use that term when talking with her. By using the proper name of each object you will be providing so many new words each day. Just think about it!! In sitting down for dinner you could have 10 words alone (plate, chair, table, meat, milk, cup, corn, napkin, fork, spoon, bread...see I told you).
The important part to naming each object is to stay away from the word "it." This useful little word incessantly finds its way into our vocabulary. Our job, as parents or caregivers, is to be aware of the word it and try to use the proper name of the object, not the pronoun for it. I just did it. OH no I did it again. (See it is insidious.)
Don't stress about the word it. If you find that you said "put you cup on it" just make your statement again with the noun "put your cup on the table."
No comments:
Post a Comment